Monday, November 16, 2015

Grad School Adventures: Week 7 and 8: "Finals round 1"

Week 7/8: November 2nd-15th
Lesson of the Week: 
Week 7 and 8- November 2nd- 15th
Lesson of the Week:
Travel- as much as you can! 
There is so much to see and do, go experience it!

DONE WITH FINALS!!! That is how I said it in my head as I walked out of MIP- Graduate School of Business around 12:45 pm on Wednesday afternoon to a beautiful sunny day in Milano, uncommonly warm and sunny as everyone would say for this time of year. 

As I was walking back and waiting on the train I reflected on my view of my performance on the finals. I believe I did well, it wasn't too earth shattering or hard, I wish I would have added a few more diagrams using Marketing tools etc but all in all I left feeling good about how I did. 

Finals week is always a hard week for students, always trying to cram in the last bit of knowledge and hoping it sticks… The thing about our program at MIP is that, it isn't always about the answer, but it is in how you get there. Marketing in essence is about generating profit by providing the customer value. There are multiple ways to achieve this goal but how you go about it is different. Just like companies, for example Apple challenges you to “Think Different” and markets to you as a person creating a brand that you want to be a part of. Where as Samsung targets features and functionality as it doesn't have the same type of brand culture that Apple does. This also makes it stressful for students who want to be able to answer right or wrong, where there is a lot of grey area in this field. But at the end of the day it is about applying principles that allow us to assess and analyze a market, not always easy to condense into multiple choice. Instead we had to analyze cases and discuss our vies, opinions, etc. I find it fascinating to read about how different companies attack different problems. 

Now that our finals over Basics of Management, Marketing Analysis, and Strategic Marketing is completed we now shift focus from Corporate Strategy, BCG Matrix’s, Porter’s Value Chain, 5 Forces, and STP to putting into practice and adding the Marketing Mix, the 4 P’s to the equation in Marketing Decisions. I am looking forward to lectures on Product Management, looking at Trends, and the new age of Digital Technology!

With studying abroad, challenges will arise! Such as back to dealing with the Italian Post Office. My mom sent me a care package full of Hot Tamales and Twizzlers (which I am still waiting on, I cant tell you how badly I want those Hot Tamales), as it has not arrived. Around the same my mom sent that package, her sister, my Aunt also sent a care package full of Twizzlers, beef jerky, and Mac and Cheese! The difference is that with my aunts package I happened to be leaving as the post delivery guy showed up, apparently from what I interpreted (he was rocking Italian and I was trying to listen for key words, while using broken Italian, and a lot of pointing) to show him which button was ours to call down, as he did not ring the right apartment the first time. Clearly the name Napoli on the box and matching it up with the name Napoli on the sticker next to the all button isn't easy. Anyhow I also have to call the Post and figure out why we are receiving much mail as we have been asked from multiple family and friends if we received their letters. I have entrusted an Italian classmate of mine to help in the interpretation as I have not mastered the Italian Language. 

Last week we took an awesome city tour of Milano, it was a guided tour that took us through the Duomo Cathedral, Sforza Castle, through the Brera Neighborhood, which is a beautiful art district (although it used to be the Red Light District of Milano), and finally to see the famous "Last Supper" painting by Leonard da Vinci. We had the absolute perfect weather and it was amazing to not only see Milan, but also be able to learn about it as well!  This past Sunday I traveled to Verona with my girlfriend Christine and her Master’s of Interior Design Class at Scuola di Politecnica and I have to tell you, it was GORGEOUS. Verona is a stunning town with so much charm, from beautiful Piazza’s and fountains, to sweeping views of the city! They also have L’Arena which was constructed prior to the Coliseum that is still in very excellent shape! We also visited the balcony of Juliet from Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, and singed our name on the walls of the entrance. We made the day trip on Sunday and although a little foggy, still beautiful. Milan is a very good city that is located very well for quick day trips and short weekend getaways. I am here to study and get my Masters Degree but I also want to travel and experience as much as I can now, while I still can!


Have a fantastic week and hopefully I will get to enjoy my Hot Tamales soon!


Duomo Cathedral






Juliet's Balcony
Signed our name on the wall at Juliet's
Verona L'Arena
Beautiful Verona






No comments:

Post a Comment